The Booming Audio Advertising Market: Projections for 2027
15 November 2023
According to Statista, projections for the audio advertising market in 2023 are highly promising, with expected ad spending set to soar to an impressive US$38.75 billion. Traditional Radio Advertising is leading the way in this market, boasting a substantial market volume of US$28.61 billion for the same year.
In a global context, the United States is anticipated to dominate ad spending, with an estimated figure of US$18,570.00 million in 2023, underlining its significant influence in the industry. Additionally, when we look at the Traditional Radio Advertising market, the average ad spending per listener is predicted to reach US$9.33 in 2023.
Notably, key regions contributing to this growth include France, Germany, Europe, India, Japan, and the broader Asia-Pacific region. To shape the future of the audio advertising landscape, we expect these areas to play pivotal roles.
Podcasts and Programmatic Audio Advertising
Sounds Profitable and Signal Hill Insights, in partnership with SiriusXM, conducted a study that unveiled a remarkable trend in the realm of advertising. Specifically, when examining the omnichannel spending of two prominent insurance brands, podcasts emerged as the star performer, surpassing the performance of both AM/FM radio and television, especially in mid-funnel metrics.
Moreover, podcasts consistently demonstrated the most substantial enhancements across the entire spectrum of metrics when assessing the average increases in brand metrics for the top five advertisers across different mediums. This underscores podcasts’ undeniable effectiveness and impact as a medium for advertisers. Here are some interesting facts on this topic:
- The English language predominantly dominates the podcast landscape.
- Regarding the preferred platforms of global podcast enthusiasts, Apple Podcasts takes the lead with a substantial 41.3% share and an impressive 57,784,043 podcast downloads. Spotify secures the second position with 30.2% of podcast users and 42,216,588 downloads.
- Their advertising effectiveness sets podcasts apart, as revealed by their audience: a remarkable 60% of our listeners actively engage with podcast ads, a figure significantly higher than the 28% for social media ads and the modest 25% for streaming video ads.
- In the news and politics podcasts, there is a striking lack of trust in cable and broadcast TV, with 94% of listeners viewing them as neither authentic nor trustworthy.
- The convenience of hands-free listening is a defining feature of the podcast experience, with 71% of our audience enjoying podcasts while multitasking during activities like cooking, working, and exercising.
- Furthermore, podcasts bookend many daily routines, with 72% of dedicated listeners starting and ending their days by tuning in.
- The podcast revolution continues to sweep the nation, with a notable 41% of the United States population tuning in monthly, highlighting the medium’s broad appeal and growing influence.
Programmatic audio advertising stands as a potent avenue for engaging with your audience while the popularity of podcasts and music streaming services continues to grow. Digital audio advertising encompasses revenue from both pre- and in-stream audio ads found in music and podcast streaming services, including free versions supported by advertising. These ads come in various formats, from single spots to innovative options like presenting, on-air promotions, and infomercials, directly embedded or dynamically inserted into audio files.
Digital audio advertising has witnessed explosive growth globally, driven by streaming services like Spotify, YouTube Music, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Tencent Entertainment Music. These platforms tailor real-time campaigns by harnessing location-based, device-specific, programmatic, and demographic targeting to maximize their effectiveness.
Notably, the global digital audio advertising market reached US$8.89 billion in 2022, with a promising annual growth rate of 7.6% between the years 2022 and 2027. The United States stands as the leader, raking in approximately US$5.2 billion in 2022, while Europe saw a market worth US$1.1 billion in the same year. In absolute terms, China contributed around US$0.9 billion to the 2022 global total.
Audio Ad Spending Statistics
As we delve into digital audio ad spending, it becomes evident that this figure is on an upward trajectory globally. In 2017, it stood at $33.6 million; by 2022, it had already surged to $37.2 million. Looking ahead, forecasts indicate that by 2027, experts project this figure to reach an impressive $41.1 million, highlighting the ongoing growth in this realm.
A significant shift in the advertising landscape highlights the increasing average ad spend per listener for digital audio ads compared to traditional radio advertising. In 2017, traditional radio advertising peaked at $10.6 million per listener, while digital audio lagged at $3.08 million. However, the narrative took a turn in 2022. Traditional radio advertising dipped to $9.32 million per listener, while digital audio surged to $7.13 million, narrowing the gap considerably. Projections suggest that by 2027, experts expect these two advertising mediums to nearly achieve parity, with both hovering around the $8.5 million mark. This transformation underscores the evolving dynamics of the advertising industry.
For a better understanding of the market, we suggest you take a look at individual regions and their statistics:
- In the US region, the average advertising expenditure in the audio advertising market experienced a substantial uptick, soaring from USD 1.87 billion in 2017 to an impressive USD 5.16 billion in 2022. Anticipations indicate that this figure will continue its upward trajectory, reaching an estimated USD 7.54 billion by 2027.
- In 2023, the audio advertising market’s anticipated average ad spending per listener will reach US$38.46. This growth is expected to maintain a steady pace, with a CAGR 2023-2027 of 6.46%, culminating in a projected market volume of US$7.54 billion by 2027.
- The digital audio advertising market in the European region is poised to achieve a notable milestone, with projected ad spending growth reaching US$1,309.00 million in 2023. We expect this upward trajectory to persist, with a CAGR 2023-2027 of 5.86%, resulting in a projected market volume of US$1,644.00 million by 2027.
- Moreover, the digital audio advertising market is set to substantially increase its listener base, with an estimated 208.4 million users by 2027. Furthermore, the podcast advertising sector shows strong potential for substantial growth. Ad spending will surge from 22.7 million euros in 2018 to 207.2 million euros by 2023, marking a significant evolution of the European digital audio advertising landscape.
- In the expansive Asian region, the digital audio advertising market is ready to make significant strides, with projected ad spending reaching a substantial US$2.23 billion in 2023. We anticipate that this growth will continue, with support from an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 5.09%, leading to a projected market volume of US$2.72 billion by 2027.
Furthermore, we expect the digital audio advertising market to see a significant surge in its listener base, with an estimated staggering 878.8 million users by 2027. In this dynamic landscape, we project that the average ad spending per user in the digital audio advertising market will reach US$2.89 in 2023, highlighting the evolving opportunities and engagement in the Asian digital audio advertising sphere.
In 2023, the top five countries leading in ad spending, measured in millions of US dollars, are the United States, China, Japan, Canada, and Germany. These nations are at the forefront of the advertising landscape, demonstrating their global influence and investment in this dynamic industry.
What Makes Podcast Ads Effective?
Podcasting offers unique advantages, including unparalleled engagement and a sense of intimacy with the audience. While these qualities are undeniably impactful, they alone do not fully explain the remarkable effectiveness of podcast advertisements. Notably, even when employing similar creative approaches across different advertising platforms, brands like Progressive and GEICO have witnessed superior performance in podcasting.
As a distinct audience, podcast listeners experience reduced ad saturation compared to other media channels. Spot loads are lighter, and many podcasts are free from commercial interruptions. Additionally, podcast enthusiasts are more inclined to consume ad-free and premium entertainment content.
Moreover, younger consumers tend to exhibit a natural affinity for brands across various media platforms, irrespective of the medium. This broadens the appeal of podcast advertising, making it a potent tool for connecting with this demographic. These factors collectively contribute to the unique efficacy and allure of podcast advertising.
Stay up to date with our company news
04 December 2023
In 2022, global entertainment and media revenue grew by 5.4% to reach US$2.32 trillion. In 2023, Meta coined it ‘the year of efficiency,’ as major players reduced their workforce, resulting in over 168,000 job cuts in the tech sector during the first four months. Netflix cracked down on password sharing, […]
24 October 2023
Crafting compelling content to enhance your brand’s presence is effective only when your message reaches the intended audience. This is precisely where programmatic advertising solutions take center stage. Programmatic advertising leverages the power of machine learning to secure advertising placements across the vast expanse of the internet, ensuring that your […]
10 October 2023
Programmatic omnichannel marketing is an approach that harnesses multiple marketing channels to craft a tailored customer journey across all points where your brand interacts. This strategy seamlessly integrates experiences from in-store visits, online interactions, social media engagements, email communications, text messages, and even printed materials. Statistics showed that progress is […]